Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tomorrow = Toronto

Well, I still haven't been able to Lake on here. I hope he posts something by tomorrow.... urgh lol.

So tomorrow I will be taking a plane to Toronto for our orientation camp with Shayne, our supervisor. I'm really excited. I still haven't repacked all my stuff yet. I'm getting kinda nervous too. I'm sure we're going to have a pretty intense few days.

Shayne gave us some homework to do before our arrival in Toronto. We had to watch a debate online about aid work in Africa... even though we're going to Central America. He also gave us a couple of articles about AIDS in Africa and such.... interesting stuff. He also sent us a document called the "gut challenge". Basically giving us a reality check of sorts about what to expect. He also asked us a bunch of questions that we needed to reflect on.

The truth is, I signed up for this program before I finished high school. My plan was to do this program instead of starting university. However I got put on a "waiting list" and was told I would be going for sure the following year. Quite a few things have changed since I originally signed up in 2007. Now I have completed my first year of university, I've grown up a bit and I am now in a relationship. I do miss school, and I kinda wish I could be going back in a couple weeks with all my friends. I hate that I have to be a year behind them now. However I did take a lot of second year courses in my first year so I guess I got a head start... Kinda... And leaving my boyfriend for 6 months is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But doing something like this has been my dream for a long time. Nothing will stand in my way. It's so crazy how I've been waiting for so long for this to happen, and the day has finally come.

Talk to you soon,

Ari <3

No comments:

Post a Comment