Friday, February 12, 2010

My top 10 places to see in Canada

I was talking with a lady who works at the school I work at and she was telling me that she's never traveled in her life. She's only really been Victoria, B-C. I was a bit flabbergasted, maybe because I've been traveling my whole life and I've seen a lot of Canada. She asked me about some places that she thinks I think are worth visiting. So here are my recommendations based on what I've seen. I've been to every province except Newfoundland and I have not been to Northern Canada, although I really do want to. I am planning to go to Newfoundland with my boyfriend come October, because he's a newfie and wants to show me around. :)

Must see places in Canada (from most important to least important...ish)

1. Downtown Montreal/Vieux Montréal. No matter what, you will have an amazing time here.
2. Waterton, Alberta. Super gorgeous. Right in the Rockies next to a lake with deers everywhere.
3. Peggy's Cove, Nova-Scotia. Such a magical place. This is pretty much where Nick and I fell in love when we were 15 years old.
4. P.E.I. There isn't a lot of space to cover, but it's all gorgeous and you need to see it all. I recommend the beach above all. Go in the summer!
5. Downtown Toronto (Yonge St, King St, Queen St) So much fun and super good shopping!
6. Downtown Edmonton/West Edmonton Mall. Super cool and there's something for everyone!
7. Downtown Ottawa/Rideau/Bank St/The Byward Market. Go see all the old buildings and the parliament. And go for a burger at The Works! Go to Moulin de Provence for the best patisseries and fresh bread. So good! So much culture at the Market.
8. The Village in Toronto. I was there for the kick off of the Pride Festival last summer, and I had one of the best times of my life. This might not be a place for everyone's tastes though.
9. Robson Street/Stanley Park in Vancouver. I hate Vancouver itself, but Robson street is really cool and has awesome shopping. Stanley Park is super nice and is right on the Pacific ocean (if I'm not mistaken. Either way, it's next to a huge body of water and has a really nice beach)
10. Niagra Falls. One of Canada's biggest tourist attractions. Super gorgeous, but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

Bonus:
Alfred, Ontario. GO GET THE BEST POUTINE OF YOUR LIFE. QUÉBEC AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ALFRED! Kenenbec is the place to go! It's been open for about 50 years now. Soooooo good!



Disclaimer: I have yet to go to Québec City, but I hear that's another really good spot to check out and so is Victoria. Halifax is cool too... But Halifax reminds me a lot of Hamilton, Ontario... No idea why that is.

Ari

1 comment:

  1. GRRR Next time I'm bringing you to commercial drive next time you're coming.

    ReplyDelete