Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dry skin

OH MAH LAWD! WE ARE BACK IN CANADA!

Yes, we had a lovely and safe journey to the great white North. We are now all in Prince Albert and the other group is in Saskatoon. Our flights were long and sometimes tedious, but it was well worth it. We flew from Managua to San Salvador, San Salvador to Toronto, Toronto to Saskatoon and a bus from Saskatoon to Prince Albert. We spent a night in Toronto though. However, we only really got to sleep for a couple hours. My parents, as well as many of the other parents from the canadians, came down with oodles of clothing for the Nicas. Both for our group and for the other. We dumped all the clothes into Shayne and Ben's room and had a massive raffle. Serious, their room almost looked like a small thrift store. Toronto was no where near as cold as Prince Albert turned out to be though. Now all the Nicas understand the concept of layering your clothes, as well as having thick sweaters and good hats. It's so much fun for us Canadians because we get to teach them so many things. Many occasions already have I had to zip up winter coats and tie scarfs the right way around some of the Nicas. They are so adorable when they are all dressed up. For the most part, once they have on their full winter attire, you can only see their little eyes, shivering in pain. Pobresitos. The other day I had to show Tania how to walk into sliding type doors. You know, the kind that go around in a circle. She really didnt know what to do when she saw it.

Now, onto my host family. I live with Cecilia. She is an elderly woman who acts much younger than you would think for her age. She lives alone out in the country side, owns a farm with several cats (oh yay!) and has an enormous family. It looks like we'll be meeting alot of her family for Christmas. Cecilia is very catholic, but she doesn't impose her views, which I like. Thelma was nervous about Cecilia being so catholic, because in Nicaragua, the Catholic and the Evagenlical church are quite divided, and Thelma is evangelical. But all is well in our house hold. I really enjoy living with her. She has a hot tub in the basement. When I say hot tub, I don't mean a bath tub with a couple jets... I mean the kind that you usually see in someone's backyard. She's really nice. It should be an awesome 3 months with her.

Currently we are in our orientation camp for the Canadian phase of the program. So we've been doing alot of touring and going to the workplacement for a visit. Also hitting up the thirft stores for possible boots for whoever needs them. Yesterday we went to 3 different museums here in Prince Albert about the history of the town, as well as the Métis people, the educational evolution and about the prisons here. We also visited some of the work placements, such as The Canadian Mental Health Association, the Salvation Army, the Forestry office, the Red Cross and the hospital. I will be working in an elementary school. I'm actually going this afternoon to meet my bosses there and find out more about what it is that I'll be doing.

For the most part, it seems like all of the Nicas are adapting well and aren't going through too much culture shock. Everyday there is someone from Nicaragua calling Thelma. I don't get any calls... no one loves me, haha. Thelma only really had one night where she was quite home sick, but she's doing just fine now. Her english is already starting to improve, which is really great. She really likes Canada.

Coming back to Canada made me realise how much I love my country. I missed it more than I realised. I love the cold weather. It's pretty much always been bellow 30 degrees here, so we've been hit pretty hard with the bone chilling cold. I missed the food. I just know I'll gain back that 10 pounds I lost in Nicaragua. But also, returning to Canada made me realise how easy we have it here and how much I love Nicaragua as well. I miss Nicaragua so much already. I can't wait to go back. Before I left, my Nicaraguan friends would tell me to never forget Nicaragua. But really, how could I ever forget it? Nicaragua has left a permanant mark on me, and I like it that way.

Toodles :)

Ari

p.s. yes, I am currently shivering.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry I haven't called. It's been crazy busy here and I don't know why I never even thought about calling you. It's probably because I am not used to being able to reach you that way.

    Glad you are enjoying the new place. The hot tub sounds awesome! I'd love that in my house. Stay warm!

    Say hello to Thelma and Luis Carlos (I hope he still likes his hat). It was fun to see the Nicas in Toronto. And I can imagine them all bundled up for winter, like little children. Did you tell them to pee before they get dressed to go outside? Each Canadian child learns that by the time they are 4.

    Hugs and kisses,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete