Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

First of all I would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

So I really was indifferent about the holiday thing...until yesterday came around. This is my first Christmas away from home. I knew it was going to happen some time, but I don't think I ever expected to be sharing that Christmas with a new, massive family. I did get a bit emotional last night when we were about to sit down but also when we were at church. It's weird not having my own relatives around for the holidays. It's weird not waking up Christmas morning to eggs benedict and the traditional family movie in the morning. Yesterday I was shoved into a whole new line of traditions. We had to fast all day until dinner, and we had a meat-less dinner... so lots of fish and porogies. Then we went to mid-night mass... which was actually at mid-night. For my family, we go to mid-night mass... at 7pm. So I was a little sleepy to say the least by the time mass came rolling around. Surprisingly enough, Thelma and I got a ton of presents. I was pretty shocked, and so was Thelma, I think. Even though we are pretty much complete strangers to the Loch family, last night they treated us as one of their own, which was an awesome feeling. I am so thankful to be with Cecilia as a host-family for so many reasons. I was worried that my Christmas would be horrible because I'm away from home, but this was defenitly a good Christmas, thanks to the Lock family.

They also have a tradition called the "gift gag". Everyone has to buy a silly gift for about 5$ and wrap it up. Then everyone draws a number and takes turns open their gag gift. They are also allowed to trade a gift before opening the one they have chosen, therefore the other person must open it and is stuck with it. I got candy. Little sour cherry things that I adore. Lovely.

Another nice surprise was that my boyfriend had a flower arrangement made for me. It's super pretty and hangs out next to my bed. He said that the florist didn't have red roses anymore so she had to use orange, but frankly, I prefer the orange, haha.

Tonight we will be having a big turkey dinner and then tomorrow I believe we'll be heading up to the family's Cabin. I kind of want to go toboganning today, but I don't think anyone else wants to go.

Well, Merry Christmas everyone.

Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment