Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grilled Cheese

So pretty much everytime I make a post, I soon realise after Ive finished paying for the internet how many things I had forgotten to mention. So today I will try to be as thorough as possible. Wish me luck....

First of all, I would like to make a list of things that I will never take for granted again.

1. Clean Water. The nicas drink their own water, but I do not dare. Its crazy how troublesome it is to go out of ones way to get some water...
2. My blow dryer. I miss having nice hair.
3. Light bulb. Everyones house has fluorencent lights. It sucks.
4. Winter. Winter means no dying of heat, but more importantly no bugs!!!
5. Baths. Oh man...
6. Cheese. I miss Brie and Cheddar so damn much. Oh man... my mouth is watering.

Ok onward ho.

So I guess I should give an update of recent events. A friend of mine from high school died last Friday from severe brain cancer. I can tell you he was a fighter and a true champ. I will always remember him.

Yesterday I went to work for the first time. I work in a community called Caldera. Its kind of far from Somoto. I technicly work in the outskirts of Totogalpa and the office I work at is in Tepochtcali, also in Totogalpa. The work I do is mostly diagnostic work. Meaning I go to Caldera and figure out what this community needs to make more money. INPHRU has given all of us a mission. 94% of people who live in the country side do not have the oppertunity to go to university and make a good living for themselves. INPHRU essentially wants us to propose a plan in order to break this cycle. They will put this plan in action over the next 4 years. Probably with the next 4 groups of CWY who come to Somoto. Caldera is trying to promote mostly the making of straw mats and fruit such as pineapple. I only really spent an hour or so there yesterday. When we get to Prince Albert though, our work there will be way more a-la-Katimavik. We actually have work placements and partners such as the Red Cross, the hospital, the rehab centre, etc. I dibs the SPCA. Im really excited for that.

Life at home has been good. Ive been adjusting very well to Nica life. I can have full conversations in broken spanish now. Its pretty awesome. Last night when I got I was craving a grilled cheese. And Thelma had bought some processed cheese too. So I made myself one. The first bite I took sent me straight back to my childhood. I melted with the cheese in my mouth. I gave Thelma a bite. She loved it. This was the first time I had cooked for myself all trip.

So we´ve been going back and forth to the mayors office trying to make some contacts for ourselves. So far we have met the deputy Mayor as well as the enviromental sector of the mayor office. We met a lady named Tania, and she is our main contact in the office. Yesterday we got to go to the landfill in Somoto. Its a shame really.

Another thing is that our group has been seperate into 5 commitees. Language commitee, Social Cultural Commitee, Health and Sports commitee, Enviroment commitee and the Media commitee. I am on the Social Cultural commitee (I know some of you arent surprised). Our main task is birthday parties. Last weekend was Shayne and Yanines birthday. So we had a two in one party and it was a huge success. Other tasks of mine include dance classes, organising a canadian dinner for the nicas and some trips we may be taking outside of Somoto. Were maybe planning on going to Esteli to visit the other group next week.

There is one thing that I always forget to mention on the blog. Its our infamous truck rides. I have a video of this, but I cant post is just yet. The way we all get to work or travel around to short distances is riding in the back of a truck. Sometimes standing. Sometimes sitting down. Usually when were standing we all have to look out for eachother because its extremely easy to get a branch in the face.

We get spanish classes twice a week. We also take turns teaching english at the Intensive School of English. Tonight I am Shaynes supply teacher, so I will teach the Nicas english with Luke. Last night Lake tought english to the Nicas...he made them call him Mr. Khera... OH PLEASE.

My foot is almost healed completely. I will forever remember Nicaragua, because it will be on my foot...

By the way, me and Alex have decided were going to Australia and New-Zealand together. AND, in November, INPHRU is paying us a vacation at an all inclusive resort next to the pacific. WOOOO!!! Alex and I will be paying our counter parts a hot rock massage. Teehee.

gotta go,
later gater,

Aricake

1 comment:

  1. Wow! thanks for all the news. A trip to the Pacific sounds heavenly!

    I forgot to tell you that I didn't send anything to Adrian in Victoria to bring with her. It would have been difficult to get it there in time.

    I am glad you are getting along and finding a way to show off some of your talents.

    Love you lots!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete