Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Spanglish much?

Dear home,

I miss you. I have never miss winter so much in my entire life. Yes I already have a few sunburns. Why didnt I think of packing after burn? Gawdddd.... Orientation camp with los Nicas (the nicaraguans) was really cool. They are all such warm and friendly people. All of los chicos (the boys) are true gentlemen. The girls have a bit more difficulty speaking english, but they are all learning quite quickly. So are we in fact... I speak enough spanish now to get by. I still wish I hadnt forgotten my spanish book in ottawa though... grrr. One of the girls, Alex, brought an electronic translator. Its the handiest thing in the world!

If you want to read Alexs blog its www.alexs-escapades.blogspot.com

So far this has been an emotional roller coaster ride. Everytime I think about home I choke back my tears. Especially when I think about Nick. I miss him. I miss my mommy, my bed and my air conditionning. Im gunna buy a couple of fans for my host family I think. This country is so poor. An iPod is about 30$ american here. I think Ill buy another one for the sake of it being so damn cheap! Ill give it to my brother probably... Hes like the only person I know who doesnt have and iPod lol. I miss my Nick Lang as well. Last night we were out in the park and I caught a wiff of weed... I only thought my favorite Nick Lang. I know he probably misses me too.

Youre probably dying to hear about the living conditions and such. Well... My counter parts name is Thelma. I thought that she would be outside of her home town, but Im actually living in her home with her family. Shes 22. I live with her sister Melania and her grandmother Estha. I live in a semi-mud hutt. I have an out-house. There is no hot showers, which is something that doesnt bother me at all. Its so bloody hot here that frankly, cold showers are always just what the doctor ordered. I live with her because she the only one of all the girls who doesnt have a dog. She has a kitten who is scared of me haha. My bed is essentially wood with a blanket... I did my laundry by hand for the first time in my life this morning. It was actually alot of fun. I just put on my music and get er done. Its kind of an escape almost.

It been really hard for all of us so far to ajust to the culture. Its exhausting. One of the guys is strongly considering going home. If things dont get better for him by next week, I think hell be buying a ticket back to canada. He hasnt stopped crying since we got to Somoto. Last night the whole group hung out at a park and played basketball. I had to cling myself to Lake to grasp reality again. He could tell I was slowly losing my mind. Im no where near as bad as some of the others though.

I have to go. My time is up...

Ill be back soon, I live close to the internet cafe.

I love you all and miss you dearly.

Ari

2 comments:

  1. Mommy misses you too! You are a brave girl for living with an outhouse and a cold shower. Kinda puts a new perspective on things, eh?

    Prup and I are doing fine. We put my bedroom tv in the livingroom and now we spend more time together, instead of at opposite parts of the house.

    I am still working on applying for that job in Europe and I start my graduate course today.

    Nothing else new in the hood. Dad asked about you and I will be glad to show him the blog next time I see him.

    Hang in there girl! It's the experience of the lifetime. Next time I hope you will write more about your counterpart and finally be able to tell us exactly what your assignment will be.

    By the way, how did she like the hat and scarf? Can she imagine how cold Sask will be?

    Love, hugs and kisses!

    PS, still haven't started on decorating your room. Haven't decided on colours yet. My latest idea is red and purple. Comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear you're having fun gurl c:
    i can't imagine how you feel:D

    ReplyDelete