Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rice and Beans

Hello hello,

So things have been getting easier and harder at the same time over here. I can follow a person speaking spanish quite well now. Everything here is completely different than it is back home. Alex and I called home last night and we were talking about how its impossible to describe what were going through to our families. Nicaragua is insanely slow passed compared to home. The Nicas walk very slow compared to us. Being late is no big deal. There isnt a real concept of time here. I get up everyday around 7 or 9 and go to bed at around 8. Being culture shocked is very exhausting.

Today I met my new boss, Joel. I dont know how I got lucky enough to get the good looking supervisor hahaha. Hes a little too short for my taste though. Hes really nice. Hes Alanys (one of our nicas) cousin. Everyone knows everyone here. Especially Thelma. She introduces me to new people all the time. Saturday I think the whole group has been invited to her church to go hang out.

Next Wednesday we will be meeting the Canadian Ambassador. We need to be on our best behavior because we need to get work visas for the nicas. Things like that make me feel so official. There have been quite a few occasions already where the canads have been put on the spot haha. I had to dance thriller at the Festival de Mais. It was muy embarrassing.

Even though the group doesnt live together, we spend most of our time together. I dont always feel comfortable in Thelmas house. I dont know why. Its hard to be seperate from everyone. I always feel very alone when I dont have at least one canadian with me.

I slid down a mountain the other night. I almost broke my foot. It just tore open the flesh and the bone is probably bruise, but no biggy. Lots of gause and polysporen woot. It looks pretty nasty though haha.

Tomorrow I start my job with Carmen. Shes another nica. I really love her. I wanted to live with her, but it wasnt meant to be. Im glad we get to work together though.

I have to go now. Lake is infront of me. He better be updating too... or else! By the way... Lakes nickname in the group is Princess or Princesa en espaƱol. teehee Yes, it was my idea.

later gater,

Ari

1 comment:

  1. We were investigating McDonald's all over the world in class today. Gall Pinto is sold at McD's in several Latin American countries, like Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Costa Rica. So next time you get a cravings for rice and beans, check out McD's!

    ReplyDelete